Facebook Profile Pic

It's a Global thing!

Words United: It's Global Union through creativity. We seek to enlighten each of our experiences around the whole world.
Words United, inspired by Louisiana Words (louisianawords.blogspot.com), seeks to push creative unity on the global scale. It is encouraged this way to help educate experiences insides and outside our mainland. Of course, this blog is in no way meant to make others feel they cannot participate. Even if you are not American please submit your words and expand this site into whatever direction necessary to enlighten the world. We don't have to be competitors; we could be family. If you are interested in submitting or asking questions: 1. You may email louisianawords@gmail.com 2. You may submit work via message to the Words United Facebook Page.

Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Trumped! (Louis Toliver Jr - USA/Austin, Texas)

So, it was down to me and this other fella. We both had five cards in our hands and these five cards were going to make a richer man out one of us. Here I was playing poker on voting day again.  I looked at my hand and took a deep breath. I was risking everything on this move. My hand seemed unbeatable. Well, maybe not. It was just a low straight. There was a good chance I could lose, but I had no choice but to play this game. The other fella had basically bluffed himself into the lead. A little bluffing couldn’t hurt, eh? I raised him. I decided to go all in: wife, kids, my overall-health. I figured the chances of him also getting five random cards in a sequence would be miraculous. I was too selfish to believe I could lose. That was the one thing the other fella and I had in common. I folded four times to his bluffs. He was like a politician or reality TV personality with perfect hair. He simply was just a pretty man. We tend to fall prey to well-groomed folks. His favorite suit was diamonds. With our playing cards, spades were red and diamonds were black. Therefore, the diamonds carried more weight in our poker game. Even though, I had five red spades; ironically, none of them matched. I had the healthcare, transportation, education, agriculture, and spirituality cards of spades. Yet still, they were in a straight sequence (equivalent to the numbers 5, 6, 7, 8, & 9 in a normal game). I played my cards confidently. For some reason, I thought I had won. But my grandmother always said, “once cancer strikes, you’re dead.”  A confident force revealed five black diamonds as the cards fell to the table. The other fella had envy, pride, greed, lust, and wrath (equivalent to 10, jack, queen, king, and ace in a normal game). I was trumped! He trumped me with five deadly sins. The same five deadly sins I had just committed. I lost everything to him that game. For a moment, I wanted to kill him. But, I let it pass…I let it pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment