Facebook Profile Pic

It's a Global thing!

Words United: It's Global Union through creativity. We seek to enlighten each of our experiences around the whole world.
Words United, inspired by Louisiana Words (louisianawords.blogspot.com), seeks to push creative unity on the global scale. It is encouraged this way to help educate experiences insides and outside our mainland. Of course, this blog is in no way meant to make others feel they cannot participate. Even if you are not American please submit your words and expand this site into whatever direction necessary to enlighten the world. We don't have to be competitors; we could be family. If you are interested in submitting or asking questions: 1. You may email louisianawords@gmail.com 2. You may submit work via message to the Words United Facebook Page.

Sunday, February 1, 2015

American Like Me (A.E.) (Louis Toliver Jr-USA/Austin, Texas)


(Formerly Known as "Black Like Me")

Hispanics speak Spanish to me
Airports are afraid I’m a Muslim
Blacks think I sound like a white person
Most just have no clue what the hell I am

Maybe I just might be
American

Though, my birth certificate
Says I’m black
When you look at me,
Can you tell?

Is that too much to ask
That I just be American?

I feel sorry for the children
That are black like me
Too scared to love the ones they love
Growing up, told to pick sides

Children stumble when they can’t 
Bubble in “American” on a standardized test

I don’t know anymore
What white is than black
And when I was child
I always just thought they were crayons

But now, I know damn well
There is no crayon called “American”

No comments:

Post a Comment